How to surpass challenges in career shifting
During your lifetime, you will have several decisions and changes that you’ll have to make and go through, regarding your professional path. Meaning you’ll change jobs, have difficult resignations, hurt some and disappoint others, grow or stagnate, professionally speaking. Every time a change occurs, some internal and external motivators exist and the process itself of change is more complex than could seem at start.
There are situations, when even after making a professional change, some are facing a blockage and soon start to think about their decision as being wrong. These are moments when one should seek for specialized help. One of the most accessible ways would be to have a mentor or a career coach. Else, if you are not feeling relaxed with the idea of a career coach or don’t have the budget to spend on these services, we gathered a list of free tests and questions to address yourself, that will help you know yourself more and have clear, realistic objectives for your future professional path. It can be useful especially when you have no clue what you want to do and need a boost of self-awareness.
1. Myers-Briggs personality Test – is an introspective self-report questionnaire that indicates psychological preferences in how people perceive the world around them and make decisions. This instrument sorts for preferences and does not measure trait, ability, or character. Research has shown that people are attracted to careers that allow them to make use of their natural type preferences.
2. Extroversion Introversion Test – is a test that shows if you oriented more towards the outer world or the inner world and if you are most comfortable with lots of people or you prefer the company of few. Whether you fall in the extrovert or introvert category (or somewhere between – ambivert), it can have a significant influence on your career choice, relationships and overall lifestyle.
3. Career Test – is an assessment that can help you identify your motivations and what’s really important to you in your career. You get to rank different aspects of work, and based on the results, it can encourage you to look for jobs or industries you may not have considered before.
4. Personality traits Test – it is an assessment that identifies preferences (extraversion, neuroticism, agreeableness, conscientiousness and openness to experience) and can help you identify learning styles as well as work preferences.
More job specific tests are being used by some recruiters when applying for a job. 1tedjob platform uses several types of tests that reveal the skills of the candidate applying for the job: psychometric, situational, evaluation and so on. Once you apply for a job on 1tedjob, depending on the job, one or more tests are offered to you, as well as reports that you can consult afterwards.
After you get to know more about yourself through these tests, specialists in career coaching recommend another thing to do – answering honestly some personal questions. We made a short list that you can use:
- What is it about my current profession that I don’t like, what is not working and what problems do I have?
- If I would leave my current job or career today, how confident am I that my problems would go away?
- What’s stopping me from making a career change, what fears and obstacles do I feel?
Let’s assume you took the decision to make a career change and have in mind some possibilities.
- What does this new career has that my current career doesn’t?
- Do I have the skills, commitment, energy and fortitude needed for this new career?
- How do I see myself in the next 5 years after this career change; what are the long-term opportunities associated with this new career?
- Am I satisfied with the benefits offered by this new career (financial, atmosphere, possibilities of growth and so on)?
- Is this career move one step forward in a bigger plan?
Being honest and aware with yourself is the most important thing when having changes or making a choice, regarding the domain in which you have changes. On a long term, only the things that are aligned with yourself will last and bring you benefits. Good luck!